Monday, January 23, 2012

I Am Sixteen, Going On Seventeen.

Happy Monday Everyone! Today is a great day. Because it is a snow day, and what better day to have a snow day than a Monday? Though most people think that a snow day means sleeping in, that was not the case for me this morning. I was up around 5:30 writing a paper for AP Lang (this class) since originally we had a 2 hour delay, and I was hoping to finish it before it was time to go to school. Anyway, by the time they called a snow day I was already awake and ready for the day, so I just decided to get to work. It is not even 11 o' clock yet and already I've finished my paper and I've got a great start on this blog post. But this day is great for another reason, too: it's almost my birthday. Though it would be really awesome to have a snow day tomorrow for my birthday, I can't complain. I'm going to be seventeen, and despite it being a busy day (sooo much choir related stuff) I think it will be a good day.

I have got to say, my sixteenth year of life through me through some loopholes. It was the year I became a drum major, the year I made show choir, and of course, the year I got my license. Everything changed so much during the past year that I can't even remember what it was like to be fifteen. And here I am going to be seventeen, my last year before I am officially an adult. This is going to be my senior year, my last time being a drum major, my last year of show choir. I know it's not time to say goodbye yet but the time is growing shorter and shorter. It seems like just yesterday I was entering the halls of Kennedy High School with a hopeful look on my face, and now here I am about to enter my last year before adulthood and I'm actually looking back on all of it. There's a part of me that wants to grow up and get out into the real world, but then there's the other part of me that just wants to stay young and innocent forever. As I turn seventeen and celebrate with my friends and family, as I finish my junior year strong, and as I spend the next year filling out scholarship applications and recommendation forms, I will be thinking back on this past year of being sixteen. Part of me will want to leave this year behind forever, only to look back on when the moment is right. But I know that some part of me will want to come back to this time and relive it, because though it may seem complicated now, it is nothing compared to what awaits in the future.

So, happy birthday to me. Here's to one last day of being sixteen:

No comments:

Post a Comment