Sunday, January 22, 2012

How many times can I say it? I love show choir.

Hello all, happy Sunday. Oh my goodness, is it Sunday already? Yes, yes it is. Where on earth has the weekend gone? I'll tell you where it's gone: it's gone to the hall of fame of many show choir weekends to be remembered for a lifetime.

Today, I literally feel like shit. Is that an appropriate term for a school blog? Oh well, I guess we'll find out. Anyway, there is not a single muscle in my body that isn't sore. My arms and legs feel as if the bones in them would collapse if you were to punch them (So nobody punch me!). My throat is sore, my neck is aching, and don't forget about the various lumps in my shoulders. My feet are swollen and my head is heavy. But despite they way I feel physically, I feel great. Because I have a good reason to feel this way. This weekend, I spent all day Saturday into the wee hours of Sunday morning at a show choir competition. I put on four shows yesterday and gave my all in every one of them. You know the phrase "Leave it all on the stage"? Well that is exactly what I did yesterday. By the fourth and final show of the day, I didn't think I would even be able to make it through. But I did, and it was the best show I have ever put on.

Yesterday was not just another show choir competition for my school. It was a record-breaking, never-forget-you show choir competition. Our prep show choir, Protégé took first place in the prep division during the day rounds. We went on to finals, being the only prep group competing against five other varsity groups. Of course we expected to finish last (I mean, let's be real, we were JV going against Varsity), but the fact that we didn't just shows that we really are up there with the big guys. Though we only beat one varsity group, we couldn't be happier. I mean, WE BEAT A VARSITY GROUP. That's huge. But besides our accomplishments, we came back after an overwhelming loss two weeks ago. We showed the world who's really boss. Everyone that doubted us because it's a transition year (and I admit, I might have even doubted us a little) can now see that we are still winners, and we're going to graciously defend our title.


For our varsity group, Happiness Inc., it wasn't just another Grand Championship title. We swept away nearly every award possible: First place in the day round, best band, best female soloist, best vocals, best choreography, and overall grand champions (did I miss any?). But beside the fact that we won all of those awards (and ginormous trophies), it was a record breaking day for Happiness. It was the first time in all 45 years of Happiness' history that we won four times in a row. Being Happiness, that seems kind of hard to believe, but it's true. We have now set higher goals for ourselves and future groups. We are well on our way to Show Choir Nationals in Nashville, Tennessee, where we can show the world what we are made of. Who knows whether or not we will be the best show choir in the nation by March, no one can really say. Who knows if we will finish the season undefeated (though we've gotten a good start). But what we do know is that we are getting better every day and in two months when we are in Nashville, we're going to leave it all on that stage in the Grand Ole Opry, just as we did in Davenport, Iowa yesterday.


Yesterday, I looked like a million bucks, today I look like the monster that lives under your bed. Tomorrow I will look like a million bucks again, when we perform our show for the entire school. No matter what they say, whether they make fun of our costumes or songs, we are going to show them what we've got. We are going to show them the talent that we possess that they don't, and we are going to show them that we don't give up after just one competition. We are going to show them the show that let us win yesterday, the show that's going to keep letting us win all season.


And that is why I love show choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment