Monday, September 19, 2011

SYSTEM + SPIRIT = SUCCESS!

When most people think of summer, they think of late nights and beaches and suntan lotion. When drum majors think of summer, they think of drum major camp, in my case, Smith Walbridge Clinics.

Pictured at left: 2011 Smith Walbridge Clinics. Image courtesy of Facebook.

Smith Walbridge is a week long camp held at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Illinois. There are a lot of branches of this camp (director's camp, colorguard camp, etc.) but it is known specifically for it's drum major camp. The camp was established in 1949 and is the oldest drum major camp in the country. There were six campers in its first year, and since then it has grown to nearly two hundred each week. Campers travel from all over the country to attend this camp, and Smith Walbridge has seen campers representing all fifty states. Pretty impressive, right?

Not only has Smith Walbridge built up a great reputation, but the camp will change a camper for the better, guaranteed. Not only does this camp teach a student how to lead, march, and conduct, it also gives a student confidence. And no, I'm honestly not endorsing this camp, I just know because I've experienced it myself.

On the first day of camp, the staff makes each camper go in front of the entire band and give their commands. When I was first told I had to do this, I thought to myself, "Wait, what? I'm supposed to go up in front of two hundred people I don't know and give my commands? Out loud?!". Then I turned to the girl next to me, who was calm as ever. I asked her if they were serious. She looked at me a little strange, and just slowly nodded. It turns out she was an alumni of the camp, and had done it all before.

Each day of the camp is filled with rigorous activities including giving and executing commands, conducting classes, putting together drill for the final performance, leadership classes, and squad competitions between bands. The week is filled with lots of hard work, sweat, and minimal sleep. Each camper burns approximately 4000 calories a day.

An average person would think this was a prison, a place where they make you do hard work and don't give you long breaks and feed you crappy food. But to a drum major this is paradise, a place where you can work hard and learn a lot, a place where you can meet people who are as dedicated to marching band as you, a place where they force you to do things you don't want to do, thus bettering yourself in so many ways.

Many things can be taken from this camp: knowledge of marching band that will be useless for the rest of your life, perfect eight to fives, and a really great tan. And yet there's so much more, qualities you never knew you could gain in just a weeks time: lifelong friendships, leadership skills, and most importantly, confidence.

For me, Smith Walbridge Clinics drum major camp was the best and worse week of my life. It was hard to say goodbye to the self-concious, passive girl I was before. It was rigorous exercise that made me sore and tired. But it also allowed a new me to emerge, one that was confident and knowledgeable. One that was inspired and inspiring at the same time. Looking back, the time I spent at drum major camp was worth every second, and I've gained nearly a lifetime of experience in just a weeks time.

For more information about Smith Walbridge Clinics visit www.swclinics.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment